Andrew Jackson had a great history and I think it's very rough when you take somebody off the bill. Andrew Jackson had a history of tremendous success for the country.... I would love to leave Andrew Jackson and see if we can maybe come up with another denomination. Maybe we do the $2 bill or we do another bill. I don't like seeing it. Yes, I think it's pure political correctness. Been on the bill for many, many years and really represented— somebody that was really very important to this country. - Donald Trump on the Today Show, April 21, 2016
On April 20, 2016, then-U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew announced plans to add Tubman to the front of the twenty-dollar bill, moving President Andrew Jackson to the rear of the bill. Lew instructed the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to expedite the redesign process, and the new bill was expected to enter circulation sometime after 2020; however, Steven Mnuchin, the current U.S. Treasury Secretary, said that he will not commit to putting Tubman on the twenty-dollar bill, explaining "People have been on the bills for a long period of time. This is something we’ll consider; right now we have a lot more important issues to focus on." - Wikipedia: Harriet Tubman
You want me to put that face on the twenty-dollar bill? - Donald Trump to Omarosa Manigault Newman
- Harriet Tubman Ousts Andrew Jackson in Change for a $20
- The Priceless Impact Harriet Tubman Will Have as the Face of the $20 Bill
- Women on 20s
- Trump administration's spurning of Harriet Tubman opens a new front in the monument wars
- Harriet Tubman Won’t Appear on $20 Bill Next Year, Treasury Secretary Says
- What's Happening With the Harriet Tubman $20 Bill? It's Still Not Clear
- Harriet Tubman on the $20? Trump’s Treasury Department Won’t Commit
- Mnuchin Doesn’t Endorse Placing Harriet Tubman on the New $20 Bill
MAKING THE STAMP
BUYING THE STAMP
We are selling the stamps here.
If there are no items listed it's because we are out of stock due to high demand. We're working hard to make more stamps and keep these available for purchase! Sign up here for restock notifications.
USING THE STAMP
Find a stamping station near you
More information about Harriet Tubman can be found here:
- An Alternative Reality — Frans Masereel Centrum, Kasterlee, Belgium, June 30, 2019
- Designed Howlings presented by SXRVXVE — Ugly Duck, London, UK, July 19-22, 2018
- A Celebration of Awesomeness — New Woman Space, Brooklyn, NY, September 22, 2018
- International Slavery Museum — Liverpool, UK
- National Museum of American History, Kenneth E. Behring Center — Washington DC
- Fitzwilliam Museum — Cambridge, UK
- Institute for Money, Technology & Financial Inclusion — Irvine, CA
- NY Magazine: I Can Buy Cereal and Cookie Butter With My Harriet Tubman–Stamped $20 Bills
- Canada’s Viola Desmond civil rights heroine banknote wins international awards while the U.S. Harriet Tubman banknote proposal stagnates
- Hyperallergic: Designer Releases 3D-Printed Stamp to Put Harriet Tubman on the $20 Bill
- Boing Boing: 3D print this Harriet Tubman stamp and fix all those twenties that Mnuchin forgot to take Andrew Jackson off of
- Kottke: The Harriet Tubman $20 Stamp
- The Root: Tubmans Over Everything
- Open Culture: Designer Creates a 3D-Printed Stamp That Replaces Andrew Jackson with Harriet Tubman on the $20 Bill
- Suffragette Penny
- History of the World in 100 Objects: Suffragette-defaced penny
- A Short History of the Suffragette Penny
- Hyperallergic: British Pennies Defaced in Protest by a Suffragette
- Viola Desmond on Canada's $10 Banknote
- Notable Women
- Stamp Stampede
- In Drones We Trust
IS THIS LEGAL?
Though anti-counterfeiting laws prohibit the willful destruction of, and stamping of advertisements upon, paper money, pursuant to I.I.18 U.S.C. § 333 of the United States Code, stamped currency is fit for circulation so long as its denomination remains legible.
For more legal information, refer to this blog post.
This project was a recipient of a generous grant from the Awesome Foundation.